The Castle of Geraki

    Parnonas

The Castle of Geraki

    Parnonas

The Castle of Passavas

    Laconian Mani

The Castle of Kelefa

    Laconian Mani

The Castle of Mainis

    Laconian Mani

Palaeokastro Assopos

    Plitra-Elia-Arhaggelos

Palaeokastro Assopos

    Plitra-Elia-Arhaggelos

Palaeokastro Assopos

    Plitra-Elia-Arhaggelos

Castles

 

The Castle of Geraki
Legends and traditions have left their trail creating an ambience in the area Geronthri, the ancient name for Geraki. The ruins of the medieval castle and of the archaic settlement both function as a link between the present and the glorious past. After the fall of Constantinople in the hands of the crusaders, 1204 AD, Geraki was one of the twelve baronies and local dominions of the Peloponnese. It is here that in 1209, the French baron Guy de Nivelet built the Castle, still preserved to date. 50 years later following the battle of Pelagonia, Geraki with its Castle was again passed on to the hands of the eastern empire of Byzantium and enjoyed a social recovery and a religious bloom.There are around thirty temples dating back to that period, ten of which are within the medieval settlement of the Castle. The most noteworthy of those are: Saint Sozon and Saint Athanasius, the cross-roofed church of Saint Paraskevi with 13th century frescos in three levels, the monocline church of Zoodochos Pigi [“Life-giving Spring”] in a dome-shaped Basilica with frescos from 1431 under the Castle, and the cross-roofed church of Taxiarchs, in the second peak south of the Castle, where among others you can see a marvelous fresco of the fall of Jericho.
 
The Castle of Loganikos
The castle was built in the 13th century, during the Palaiologos period, in the framework of the defensive fortification of the Despot of Morea. It is situated in an altitude of one kilometer and looks to the upper valley of the Evrotas river. Due to its natural fortification it was used as shelter for the Loganikos settlement.
 
The Castle of Vordonia
Situated in the small village of «Pano Chora» in Vordonia, this Frankish castle was destroyed by Mehmed II "the Conqueror" in 1460.
 
The Castle of Passava
In order to reach the hill, where the medieval castle is built, you will have to hike up to Kleisoura. In the same place, there was formerly a Mycenaean citadel.
 
The Castle of Bardounia 
The castle with Venetian features, built in the current region of Sminos, was an administrative centre, and has undergone Ottoman conversions. The remains reveal the existence of a fortress tower, a food and ammunition dump, water reservoirs and buildings for the protection of the castle.
 
The Castle of Kelefas
Built in the 17th century by the Ottomans’ command, the castle occupies a land of 13.000m² southeast of Oitilo. It has round towers at its four corners and one semicircle bastion at its east side. 
 
The Castle of Mani
In the peninsula of Tigani, near the bay of Mezapos, and an hour of walking distance, you will reach a fortress, which was an administrative, religious and military center of the southern Mani during the Early Christian and middle Byzantine times.
 
The Achilleio Castle
The castle was built during the Frankish domination northern of the Porto-Kagio bay. The settlement follows the typical style of Mani. 
 
Paleokastro Mesochorio at Neapoli
Located on a hillock at the northeast of Neapoli, the Castle was granted by William Villehardouin to the lords of Monemvasia in exchange for the surrender of the city.
 
Paleokastro Assopou
Situated in a mountain with a panoramic view near Plitra, it was once the citadel of the ancient cities of the region. Afterwards, as the surviving remnants reveal, the castle was seized by the Venetians who refortified it.